holiday cottage highlands

holiday cottage highlands
Mardon Guesthouse
holiday cottage highlands
Home Page | About the B&B | Tourist Information | Prices & Booking | Useful Links

holiday cottage highlands, b&b holiday scotland, inverness bed breakfast, guesthouse, holiday cottage acommodation, accomodation, acomodation, scotland, scottish highlands, international, short stay, central, reflexology, nutritional therapy, breaks, vacation holiday cottage highlands

You may find this information helpful when researching the area

Fortrose is a burgh in the Scottish Highlands, located on the Moray Firth, approximately ten kilometres north east of Inverness. The town is known for its ruined 13th century cathedral, and as the home of the Brahan Seer. In the Middle Ages it was the seat of the bishopric of Ross. The Cathedral was largely demolished in the mid-seventeenth century by Oliver Cromwell to provide building materials for a citadel at Inverness. The vaulted south aisle, with bell-tower, and a detached chapter house (used as the tollbooth of Fortrose after the Reformation) remain. These fragments, though modest in scale, display considerable architectural refinement, and are in the care of Historic Scotland (no entrance charge). The burgh is a popular location for spotting bottlenose dolphins in the Moray Firth.

Fortrose shares a golf course with Rosemarkie. Set on the Chanonry Ness the course stretches out into the Moray Firth and offers good views of Fort George. The course is well known for its signature 4th Hole "Lighthouse". The lighthouse in question is the Chanonry Point lighthouse which was designed by Alan Stevenson and was first lit 15 May 1846.

Public buildings in Fortrose include a leisure centre, library and the only secondary school on the Black Isle, Fortrose Academy.

Fortrose was a parliamentary burgh, combined with Inverness, Forres and Nairn, in the Inverness Burghs constituency of the House of Commons of the Parliament of Great Britain from 1708 to 1801 and of the Parliament of the United Kingdom from 1801 to 1918. The constituency was abolished in 1918 and the Fortrose component was merged into the then new constituency of Ross and Cromarty.

Fortrose Union are the local amateur football club and play at the King George V field in the east of the village. They are a focal point of the community and are the centre of many social events throughout each summer. The club has recently (May 2006) launched a website which has become very popular gaining more than 3000 hits per month. It is generally accepted that Fortrose Union FC are not as good at football as their neighbouring team Avoch FC who recently defeated Fortrose in the Highland Amateur Cup Final. Many consider current player Keith Abernethy to be the best to have ever to played for the club although Andrew Fraser has the accumulated the most appearances for the Club totalling 898. Unfortunately injury ended his career short of beating Pele's world record for appearances for one individual club, the under 21 ruling which meant he was getting past it and a dispute over the captaincy of a team-mate who shall remain nameless.

Roy Taylor has the record for shortest time on the park of any player when he made his debut for the team in 1974 but the Manager realised that the player in question did not understand the offside rule, that you were supposed to retreat back to the half-way line when the opposing team scored rather than staying in the opponents 6-yard box and he was quickly substituted for Shaft MacKenzie. Roy later went on to be the full-time janitor helper at Fortrose Academy in the 80's and early 90's.

Fortrose Academy is the only secondary school on the Black Isle. There are around 700 pupils enrolled. Notable former teachers include Mr A.Tait, who won the Teacher of the Year Award in Scotland, 2006. The rector of the school is Mr J Simpson.

Culbokie is a small village in Ross and Cromarty, Highland, Scotland, located on the north side of the Black Isle. The village is 3.5 miles north-east of Dingwall and about 12 miles north of Inverness. There is one school, a shop/post office, a public house (the Culbokie Inn) and Findon Hall. According to the census of 2001, the population was 866.

Culbokie has a thriving range of community and youth groups, including Rainbows, Brownies, Guides, Beavers, Cubs, Badminton, Playgroup and a Senior Citizens club. Once a month in Findon Hall there is a community market where a wide variety of local produce and crafts can be bought.